The first Circuit Court was opened on 13 May 1850. Th first jury impannelled comprised of:
F Ede; Michael Burns; H R Elkins; John Bruce; B Cribb; R J Coley; John Fielding; S W Bailey; Thomas Costin; P Campbell; Martin Byrne; and A E Campbell.
'The opening of the Court, combined with the importance of the several cases to be heard occasioned great interest. The proceedings were marked by a lengthy by lucid and important address from Mr Justice Therry. The Court was held in the chapel of the old Convict Barracks, and the cases ranged from petty larceny to housebreaking and murder.' (Knight, In the Early Days: History and Incident of Pioneer Queensland, Brisbane, 1895, p. 294)